There are a few steps and safety warnings. Things such as adding lye to water and not vice versa and pouring the lye solution into oils slowly are for your safety. You NEVER want to get lye on your skin.
- Wear gloves.
- Mix LYE into WATER (never the other way around) in a well-ventilated area. This could be outside, by a window, or under your stove fan.
- Wear an apron that you don’t care too much about to protect your clothes.
- Wear safety goggles when mixing lye and water, and when mixing lye solution into oils.
- Have a bottle of white vinegar on standby, just in case. If you spill lye on your skin, use the vinegar to counteract it. Pour a generous amount over the area!
- Any supplies that make contact with lye should be devoted to soap making! Don’t use them for cooking once you’ve used them for soaping!
These precautions are intended for your health, so please take them seriously.